Tuesday, August 28, 2012

My Favorite Things of Summer

Well I guess I can say SUMMER IS OFFICIALLY OVER. Both girls are back at COLLEGE. We dropped Katie off this past Friday, delivered her to her new dorm and the college way of life in LaCrosse.  Instead of getting all sad and glumy, at summer's end, I thought I would recount my favorite things.

Here we go:
  • The many, many trips to DEVIL'S LAKE for hiking, climbing the bluff stairs, picnicking, swimming and just sitting on camp chairs and enjoying the soft breeze that always wafts off the lake. Seriously, this is one of my favorite places in the world!

  • Taking ZUMBA GOLD class at Harbor Athletic Club every Monday with Katie. I never told  her this , but that class was designed for senior citizens--haha! It's much slower and easier than the regular Zumba classes (I checked them out).  We loved the instructor of Zumba Gold. Katie and I always walked out of class invigorated and yet at peace--a very weird state of mind!
  • The WALK TO A PUB with my neighbor friends. We walked to the downtown area, picked out one exotic cocktail, sipped it,  and then walked back to our homes in the early evening.
  • Jim and my BAYFIELD TRIP. It was so good to get away and go some place we both had never been before. The restaurant with the flamingoes (there must have been 200!) was so yummy and fun. Loved our first experience at a B & B--thank you Pinehurst!

  • WALKING ALMOST EVERY MORNING WITH MY NEIGHBOR FRIENDS. I always enjoy this summer ritual. We walk either around Pheasant Branch or we walk to Barriques for a cup of iced coffee than back home again. Come fall this ends, as we all go back to our school jobs. But maybe that's what makes it so special, it is just a summer thing!
  • MALLARD'S GAME & ALMOST RYTHM AND BOOMS. We have been doing this for at least the past six years and it is a very special day/evening. During the fireworks I usually recount the year and think about the year to come. (Maybe it's a good thing we didn't go because Katie had heatstroke. It was a very trying year and it's best to let some things just simply...go.)
  • VISITING BECKY IN CHICAGO. I can literally still taste those Bop Burgers!

  • ART FAIR ON THE SQUARE.
  • OPENING CEREMONY OF THE OLYMPICS. I loved this day. I ran down to Chicago and picked Becky up. Meanwhile Katie was busy at home making the fruit truffle dessert. Jim was making his creamed peas and the fish and chips were in the freezer ready to be baked. We had a fantastic night with our scrumptious English dinner fare.
  • THE 25th ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE. I can honestly say this was my favorite musical that Katie has performed in. I loved her character--Logainne, the lisp speaking, two dad girl of 12. SHE WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! And that SMILE when Bruin took the pic of the three of them--simply one of my all time favorite Katie performance moments!

  • APT. Really what is more fun than good food, surrounded by good friends and family, sipping a really good glass of chilled sweet wine?? Followed by THEATER???
  • IRISH FEST. Okay and my favorite moment of that was DUM DUM MAN. I will always be able to conjure up the image of the middle aged man, bearded, dred locks, long grungy coat and the bouquet of Dum Dums that he said were laced with acid. I'm still going--what the????
DROPPING KATIE OFF AT COLLEGE. Okay, I almost put this in a category of "sad" all by it's lonesome self, but she's doing so well there! She's only been there since Friday--2 1/2 days--but she's made tons of friends, has adapted well to sharing a dorm room, and is HAPPY!



IT's been a delightful summer full of fun, relaxation and family and friends! What more could I want out of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment