Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MY SUMMER HERB GARDEN

For the past upteen summers I have sat on the deck and viewed the rocks that decorate our yard and thought potted plants would look great there. I've been over to our friend/neighbor's house and envied her terraced herb garden. I have gone to the grocery story and abhorred the ridiculous prices for fresh herbs, packaged in such big quantities when you only need a tablespoon or two at a time. And I have said I should do an herb garden in those pots!

So this year I got off my butt and did just that. I guess what really started it all was that I found potted, plantable herbs at our local grocery store--Copps. And I thought even the grocery store is beckoning me to plant my OWN herbs. I found four pots that I already owned. Bought two plants from Copps--mint and thyme. Then I went to The Bruce Company and bought Basil and Cilantro. I bought little wooden sticks and wrote the names of the plants on them with a black Sharpie. I plopped the two glow in the dark ornaments that Anne bought for me for my birthday in two of the plants. Then I placed both pieces of the hand-painted cup from Rome that broke, into the soil of the thyme plant. The broken cup looks very artsy. I got the idea of it from our library gardener. She's always doing things like that in her beautiful garden. Putting the most random pieces with her beautiful flowers.  (***note*** future blog!)
All in all my garden is growing beautifully. I never knew I had a green thumb! I guess I get that from my mother and grandmother. Both these women had the most amazing flower gardens that they tended every year with perennial and annual flowers that they acquired and shared with friends.

1 comment:

  1. Love the herb garden! Guess that green thumb runs in the family =) Love the broken mug in the pot too, what a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete