Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Daughters

I love my daughters. And I love being a mom to DAUGHTERS. Being a mom to daughters is the most wonderful thing in the world!
Over the years I have been there for them and they have been there for me.
Take my  job at the High School. I'm a cool Lunch Room Lady (hey you'd be surprised how many people are vying for this job). I applied when Becky was a senior and Katie was a sophomore. Jim had just got captain with the airline and he told me--I'm going to be gone alot, I just got a raise, you don't have to take this. Becky said--go for it! Well I took her advice and took the job. Let me tell you that first year was difficult because I was "on call" and called in ALOT because some of our lunch room ladies at the time were older and had alot of health issues. I kept saying--I'm quitting! Becky told me to stay. Stay until the end of the month. Stay until the end of the semester. Stay until the end of the year. You'll regret quitting. And I did stay. With her support I made it through that first year. Seeing HER coming through the line every day HELPED ALOT--her smile, her joy, her "Hi Momma!" Now I'm on my third year at the school and loving it. We're like a big extended family. And as my co-worker Heidi says--how many people get to eat lunch with their friends every day? Together we've weathered kid issues, husband dilemmas and deaths of parents.

Katie too has been there for me. When she was a sophomore she went out for the musical "Anything Goes." She just wanted, desperately, to get in the ensemble since the year before she didn't make it into the musical "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" at all. So audition week she went out and then GOT A CALLBACK and then GOT THE LEAD of Hope Harcourt! It was a very stressful week for her. That week was a very stressful and sad for me. My 42 year old cousin committed suicide. The funeral was Saturday of that week an hour and a half from our house. My husband was on an airline trip. Becky was in Washington D.C. with Walk for Life so it was only Katie and I home. I woke her up early that Saturday (after the tiring week) and told her--you don't have to go to the funeral, your tired, you've had a long week. But she told me--I'm going. You've always been there for me. I'm going to be there for you. SO she rallied, got into the shower and edured listening to the Glee soundtrack from the first season "Don't Stop Believing" over and over until we got to the funeral.

My daughters are amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment