Friday, June 8, 2012

The Great Dollar Bill

Five months ago--right after Christmas--HAHA--my husband and I cut up our credit cards. Yes, it was painful. Yes I didn't think we'd survive, but we did. We found ourselves actually BUDGETING for upcoming events, nuances and expenses. We also found ourselves NOT BUYING things we didn't need and holding out on BUYING things until payday. (What a great concept, right?) Yes, like millions of people, in the past, we found ourselves "charging it" way more than we could cover.

Now we are taking our financial life one step further. We are actually using CASH to pay for things. We found that debit cards could be just as dangerous as credit cards, especially if you have that "override" button that can be used. So now I actually get CASH from a an ATM machine or following a grocery store purchase. This way it is easier to keep track of how much I spend.


The funny thing is, I don't think people are used to cash and making change! I took in $135.00 dollars cash to my gym to add Katie to my membership for the summer so she could work out and we could both use the pool. I brought in a $50.00 bill, a couple of twenties and a ten. The person working the counter had the hardest time adding up the currency. And then I had to tell him the change to give back to me--$5.00. I have the same trouble when I take cash in to get my hair cut and colored every seven-eight weeks. It's like the world has stopped thinking when it comes to cold cash!!

In the process my husband, kids and I have found that using cash allows us to CONTROL what goes out of our wallets so much more. It makes us think and plan for every purchase. It makes us realize sometimes we just don't need another shirt, or perhaps we could eat the leftovers up in the fridge and pantry. We've also been able to SAVE MORE MONEY for things we know are coming up down the road...weddings, retirement, etc.

Perhaps we're on the forefront of a new movement the BACK TO CASH craze.
I don't know. I  just know it seems to be working for us!

2 comments:

  1. Weddings? Mom, I think you're thinking a LITTLE too far down the road, hahaha!

    And I like the idea of this Back to Cash thing. You guys should start a movement! Or at least write an article about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Idea--Back to Cash Movement article--will do!

    ReplyDelete