Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pheasant Branch

I woke up this morning to a luminous full moon right outside the sliding glass doors. It reminded me of why I get up so darn early--to catch moments like that! I wake up everyday between 4:30 and 5 am. I don't know if it's due to habit (all those years of getting up before Becky and Katie so I can grab a cup of coffee, read the news, write in my journal, [now my blog] and just simply wake up) or pre-menopause or just my body's schedule. Maybe it runs in the family. My dad (God rest his soul) used to be the first one to rise when I was growing up in the ranch home in Muskego. He used to get the coffee going then head out for a jog down hilly Crowbar Road. Anyway it's my favorite time of the day--DAWN. I sit on the couch with my laptop and can look out the front window and slowly take in the bands of red, pink and purple that turn into a sunrise. Summer's the best-- the sun rises before 5 am! I drink a cup of coffee, then I too head out, not for a daily jog but for a daily walk through Pheasant Branch Conservancy.


It's an amazing place filled with birds and deer and coyotes. There are wildflowers and lots of prairie and a five mile trail that runs through the middle.

I take my dog, Maggie. We've been going on a long morning walk everyday since she was nine months old (she turns TEN on July 2nd of this year). For me the walk is exercise. For her it is a scavenger hunt! She looks for dog poo, discarded kleenex, small tree branches, even used wipes (I know disgusting-right?) then gobbles them up. Over the years I've gotten so angry at this behavior, but lately I'm reconciled to the facts--she's a dog, a retriever, that's what animals do and it brings her great joy.


Well, Let's getter and GET, as my father would say, before we headed out of the house to go somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment