Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Economy Hits the Lunch Room

As the final days of school (work) draw to a close for this year, John (best boss in the world) has been trying to put the schedule together (what days we  work for next year) for our contracts for 2012-2013. Unfortunately enrollment is WAY DOWN for Edgewood next year. We are fifteen students behind just to get to the average size classroom. I do believe in the education offered at Edgewood High School but I don't blame people for declining the opportunity due to financial reasons. As for ourseleves, we also would probably have opted to send our daughters to our public high school if it weren't for the financial help of G-ma. (THANK YOU G-ma!) Over the six years of education that our daughters went to Edgewood, tuition went UP every year.



You would think the decline in enrollment wouldn't affect the lunch room, but it does. John is talking about eliminating some of the extra people he puts on to staff the register (and taking the register stint  himself). Due to financial concerns Marilaine has opted to go from three days to full time. But some of our beautiful ladies may be leaving. Lisa probably will not return, instead give more time to her and her husband's sporting goods business--Prism. Linda has a new full-time job at Associated Bank and/ot might be moving to South Carolina.

So how does it affect ME? John asked me what I wanted to do? I said "MORE HOURS." He thinks he can give me three days, but one of them would be Friday. I love working Fridays. We get to take home the end of the week food, there is a "Friday" feel in the school, and Jim flies most Fridays and will  be gone anyways. But there is always a downside. I have been blocking Fridays to pick Becky up in Chicago and now Katie in LaCrosse from their colleges. But Becky has been taking the bus on Fridays to save gas and wear and tear on the car (it's been working out really well) and there IS a bus that goes from LaCrosse to the Union in Madison. So...what will I do??? Take the hours, I think if I needed to, I could get someone to work for me,if I needed a Friday off (maybe Lisa?). More hours mean more money and Lord knows we could always us more of that! Plus I like the gym routine on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the gym--Bodypump-YAY!!

Decisions, decisions. I wonder how many major and minor decisions we all make every day of our lives...

No comments:

Post a Comment