Friday, May 4, 2012

A New Day


I feel like I've been in a rut using the same hair salon, the same beauty products, the same clothing stores, the same classes at the gym but I vow here and now...TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF MY LIFE. I ran out of my Definity Olay Tinted Mousterizing Foundation and I've been having the hardest time with it because Olay has changed it's product (why do companies do that?). So I got online--what did we all do before the internet, seriously--and researched foundation for "elegantly aging women" (I much prefer this term to "middle-aged" because that sounds like a time frame in history that wasn't exactly highly respected, haha!) I came up with the Top Five Foundations both "bargain" and "splurge." Well, not knowing if I would like the products (I am rather picky), I decided to go with the bargain product. One name kept coming up over and over again in many articles and forums--ALMAY Smart-Shade Anti-Aging makeup base.
So I decided to buy it. In researching foundations I also discovered there is a product out there called a Foundation Primer. According to more articles and forums on the internet many women swear by this and would never wear foundation without a primer because they say foundation smooths better, lasts longer and looks better. They got me on the "looks better." So when I was at Target the other day I not only bought the foundation I picked up the primer. Did I tell you that when I went to describe "primers" to my daughter she said, "Oh yeah, mom, I know all about those!" The younger set--they just know everything, don't they?

Yesterday, before work, I got up the gumption and tried BOTH products! My review for both is WEIRD but EXCELLENT! The primer looks alot like the Definity Olay Foundation in that it is in a cylinder and is green and lavender goo swirling around to the top. On the back it says--"lavender to even out and brighten skin tone, green to reduce redness." Ironically when I pumped the colored lotion onto my palm it came out CLEAR and more like a serum than a lotion. It went on my face smoothly but left it feeling tingly and FRESH, is how I would descirbe it. A nice feeling.

Then I Squeezed some of the foundation onto my fingers and that came out WHITE. I freaked out and told myself--you got a tube where they forgot to add the tint. But when I put it on my face and started rubbing it in, the color came out! The foundation glided on perfectly over the primer, added the perfect amount of coverage and looked natural. My one concern is that the "light-medium" may be a tad too light for summer. But at $10.00 a tube I can go back to Target and get the "medium" try that, or do what I did with the Definity--mix two shades! Anyways, I LOVE both products.

One more thing I'm going to try on this NEW DAY is a new hair salon. Eee ghads! Again I reserached on line salons that used Redken hair color, were modern and reasonably priced.

I came up with Shear Designs Hair Salon. I picked this because the women were young, energetic and seemed lo love what they do. Their website also said the stylists keep up with the latest techniques. I decided to go with the owner, Kayla, for a cut and color today. And if the website wasn't enough, when I called the girl answering the phone was kind, enthusiastic and seemed excited that I was coming in.
So I'll let you know how it goes....

1 comment:

  1. Haha I can just see you squirting the foundation onto your fingers and freaking out that it was white. Enjoy the haircut today and tell us all how it goes! Maybe it will end up being your new place.

    ReplyDelete