Thursday, May 24, 2012

Last Day of School (work) For ME

It's my last day of work until Monday August 20th....ahhhh  SUMMER VACATION!
I've always hated endings. To me they are sad little things...that is why I try not to think of anything as an ending, HAHA. Katie and I were talking about this yesterday. She was bemoaning the fact she is in a group of friends that insist upon going to EVERY graduation party. She said she would rather pick and choose the graduation parties of friends she feels closest to. (There's another batch of parties coming up this Memorial Day Weekend!) Not go to twenty parties and spend only fifteen minutes at each one. Then she started talking about how SHE hates endings. She told me these graduation parties were't really endings, that she'll see her fellow classmates again, especially the theater people, and now with the summer theater group that Katrina is putting together, she'll see them every summer! (Obviously she does the same justifying as me.)
I've hated endings from since I was little. My grandparents would come to visit us in Milwaukee. We would watch "Lawrence Welk," take walks around the city blocks, and visit. When it came time for them to leave I would stand at the big bay window in the front of the house and cry. I DID NOT WANT THEM TO GO!

To mark the end of another school year and The End of my daughters' sojourn at Edgewood High School (where did the past SIX years go?) I bought orchids for two individuals who have impacted my daughters the most...

Aren't they beautiful?

One is for our Edgewood High School's Greatest Director of all time=Katina. She began with Katie, four years ago, and directed such greats as--The Matchmaker, 12 Angry Jurors, Anything Goes, A Midsummer's Dream, Hairspray, Our Town and West Side Story. Katie was in ALL OF THEM (mostly leads).  She was Katie's direction for theater, guiding Katie, inspiring her, and setting Katie on the path to her future. Katrina is a dynamite of a person, full of life and patience.

The other orchid is for Edgewood High School's infamous piano teacher=Ann. This women taught piano to both Katie and Becky for a total of SIX years. Ann has helped Becky and Katie choose a song for the solo competition every year, helped them with the songs and inspired both of them to play with skill yes, but also with great heart.

Over the years, both of these women have become my friends. They come through the lunch line and we gossip, we laugh, we talk about the future.
Because there will be no endings with us--we're all coming back August 20th!
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER KATRINA AND ANN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment